Our Children – Our School
Parent Council School Fund Raising – Did You Know?
- The school rely heavily on Parent Council raised funds to pay for “extras” that their budget will not stretch to.
- In the 2014/15 school year the Parent Council allocated £3950 of funds to help pay for things like computer technology, pupil awards, drama equipment, school trips. We’ve attached a list of just some of the great resources we funded in 2014/15.
- This isn’t unusual – Parent Council aim to raise £4000 every school year to support the school in providing as varied and exciting a learning experience as possible for our children.
- This year, fund raising has been much reduced as we just haven’t had enough parents involved to cover the work this requires. This is why the Christmas Fair didn’t happen last year, and why we came within a whisker of having no Halloween Disco for the Primary School. We’ve had feedback from parents/local businesses/entrepreneurs saying how disappointed they were not to see the traditional Christmas Fair.
- There’s currently just £300 left in the Parent Council coffers!
That’s the bad news!
Now forthe good news.
The Parent Council have gone back to the drawing board to come up with a fund raising model which we think is simple and sustainable for the future. But we desperately need parents to support us in this.
The reality is that without your support, fund raising will not happen. Parent Council isn’t big enough (on it’s own), to do this.
So what will Parent Council fund raising look like in the new school year?
Everyone on the Parent Council is a parent themselves (obviously) and we all have the same issues when it comes to fund raising.
- Not a lot of time to spare
- Not a lot of money sloshing about that we don’t need
Our Focus in 2015/16
- Limit the number of fundraising events we organise each year so that parents/friends/the community don’t feel like we are always “on the cadge”.
- Split the fundraising effort between three “Friends of Parent Council”
- Mini-groups, each one attached to a specific fundraising event and with an existing Parent Council member as the contact point/cheerleader.
- Friends of Parent Council– group 1 – covering Nursery and Primary early years parents – organise one fundraiser e.g. Bingo Tea.
- Friends of Parent Council – group 2 – covering rest of Primary years – organise Halloween Disco.
- Friends of Parent Council – group 3 – covering Secondary school – organise the Market Place event.
- All Friends of Parent Council groups 1-3 – work together with the Community to organise the Christmas Fayre.
Follow the link for a breakdown on how the funds raised by the Parent Council were spent: